How to Get Started With the Shelter Foundation
Thank you for taking the first step to get involved with the Shelter Foundation! Your support means so much to women and children in your community seeking an end to the violence and abuse in their lives and the chance for a new beginning.
If you are a Royal LePage Broker/Owner, agent or employee who would like to get your office involved with the Royal LePage Shelter Foundation, here’s what you need to do:
Contact the Shelter Foundation and we will connect you with your local shelter, giving you and your colleagues the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of local women and children.
To ensure that all donations and fundraising proceeds stay in the community in which they were raised, we match Royal LePage offices with their local women’s shelter — specifically, shelters that focus on helping women and children who have experienced abuse and domestic violence (as opposed to shelters addressing homelessness or other needs).
Royal LePage Canada covers the Shelter Foundation’s administrative costs so 100% of the funds donated to the Shelter Foundation support our cause. You will be given the opportunity to direct all of your fundraising proceeds (and personal donations) to your local shelter, or you may wish to direct a portion of these funds to support violence prevention programs in your province. (In addition to local women’s shelters, we also support the Royal LePage Violence Prevention Grants Fund at the Canadian Women’s Foundation through fundraising activities at Royal LePage conferences and through donations designated to violence prevention from Royal LePage offices or agents. Through this partnership, we support programs focused on helping women and children rebuild their lives after violence and helping youth to avoid violence and develop healthy relationships.)
There are many ways that offices and individuals can support the Shelter Foundation. These include:
- Sign up to be a Commission Donor: Agents sign a pledge form to donate a fixed amount (e.g. $10, $25, $50, $100) every time they help a client buy or sell a home. The Brokerage deducts that amount from the agent’s commission and sends these funds to the Shelter Foundation on a quarterly basis. Payroll donations: Broker/Owners and staff can make regular donations via payroll deduction.
- Host a fundraising event: Royal LePage offices have hosted a wide range of fundraising events. These include BBQ lunches, gala dinners, golf tournaments, curling bonspiels, softball tournaments, dance-a-thons, walk-a-thons, live and silent auctions, coin drives, bake sales, clothing sales and more. The sky’s the limit!
- Participate in Shelter Foundation events: This includes the annual National Garage Sale for Shelter and the Shelter Blooms program.
- Support your local shelter through the donation of tangible items to benefit women and children. This could include holiday gifts, new clothing or household items to help a woman moving out of the shelter. Please always contact your shelter partner directly prior to making this type of donation to determine what their needs and priorities are at the time.
- Other ways to support the Shelter Foundation include participating in silent and live auctions at Royal LePage conferences (by donating and bidding on items) and purchasing items on the Royal LePage e-store, the Red Market. A percentage of all sales from the Red Market is donated to the Shelter Foundation.
Commission Donations and other monetary gifts to the Shelter Foundation are eligible for an official charitable donation receipt. The Shelter Foundation issues tax receipts in February for all donations made during the previous calendar year. For Commission Donors, this means one tax receipt will cover all the donations you made from January 1 – December 31 of the previous year. For more information on tax receipts, please review our Tax Receipt Policy and FAQs about Tax Receipts.
To get started with the Shelter Foundation today, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 416-510-5750.
Key Shelter Foundation Contacts:
Shanan Spencer-Brown, Executive Director email@example.com
Evgenia Volodarski, Treasurer, evgenia.volodarski@
Carly Neill, Fundraising & Communications Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
Boitumelo Jones, Donations Processing Coordinator, email@example.com